As we all experience this snowy, bitter winter many thoughts come to mind. Will my car start? Will school be cancelled? What am I going to do with my kids all winter? Winter can be long, but remember winter is an exciting season. This year the 2014 Winter Olympics will begin in February! As the Olympics approach, take this opportunity to learn about the host country as well as all the sports. What is curling? What are the different types of skiing? Yes, we cannot get outside as much, but we can still find activities to keep everybody busy. Gather the troops and create a list of winter activities to do as a family. Have each family member contribute an idea to the list and do not forget to cross off all completed activities. Take pictures to make a 2014 winter scrapbook. Here are some suggestions to get you started.
- Game nights. Play your favorite board game.
- Jigsaw Puzzles.
- Watch the Winter Olympics.
- Family reading nights. Have older siblings read to younger siblings.
- Write a letter to a family member or friend that doesn’t live close.
- Drink hot chocolate.
- Do a winter scavenger hunt.
- Make a snowman.
- Make snow angels.
- Take a day trip to the Chicago Botanical Gardens.
- Go sledding.